To promote academic excellence in our high schools, we created the Excellence Index (EI): a simple way of rating schools academically by focusing exclusively on high achievement. The EI quantifies the percentage of students scoring at the highest levels on an array of exams. Scores are referenced to state and global norms, which are set to a EI score of 75 (representing a typical level of high achievement). To get a 75 score based on 2017 test score data a school would have:
– 13% score a 5 on AP exams
– 10% score in the 90 percentile or higher on the SAT
– 9% score Distinguished Learner (Level 4) on EOCs (average of all 8 subjects)
– 29% score 6 or 7 on IB exams (if applicable)
These are each weighted equally in the index.
Alexander High School’s 2018 Excellence Index score is a 40. This means that Alexander students are about 53% less likely to score at the highest levels on exams than their peers statewide or nationally. The underlying data is in the graph below:
This data shows that Alexander students were over 2 times less likely to score in the 90% on the SAT; over 6 times less likely to score a 5 on any AP exam, and were just as likely to score Distinguished Learner on the EOC. Of note is the fact that in two subjects – 9th Grade Literature and US history – AHS had about 30% MORE students scoring at this level than the state of GA.
AHS’s previous EI score was a 25. The remarkable increase of 15 points is due to:
1. An increase from 1.5% to 4.5% scoring in the 90 percentile on the SAT.
2. The decline in the state Distinguished Learner rate on EOCs (used as a reference point) from 9.6 to 9, increased its EI points in the EOC category.
3. An increase in Distinguished Learner rate from 6.7 to 8.8.
If you are a stakeholder at Alexander High School (e.g. parent, grandparent, homeowner in the district, future parent), please help us advocate for excellence by contacting Principal Nathan Hand to express concern over low achievement in SAT and AP exams, and ask exactly what is being done to raise more students to these levels of achievement:
You might also include his immediate supervisor, Cathy Swanger: firstname.lastname@example.org